March 15, 2020
A message from Ali and Matt
This is a difficult and unprecedented time for all of us. As you know, the ongoing response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has been quickly evolving. As a food processing and delivery business, we are acutely aware of our responsibility to help contain the spread. We are practicing strict adherence to the directives and recommendations of the B.C. Ministry of Health and B.C. Centre for Disease Control. Here’s what we’re doing:
- We are the only two people currently involved in all processes at Coastie. Nobody else touches the food, or the jars. We are closely monitoring our own health, avoiding large gatherings, and practicing social distancing.
- We are following a safe delivery plan, which includes social distancing on all deliveries, and hand sanitizing before all contact with our product. If you are ordering to your home while in self-isolation, please tell us in advance so that we can exercise special caution.
- Coastie already follows a comprehensive sanitization plan approved by Vancouver Coastal Health. In addition to this, we are on heightened alert in our kitchen. Surfaces are sanitized more than normal, hands are washed compulsively.
- We have been in contact with all of our suppliers to ensure they are also complying with B.C. Ministry of Health directives.
Please refer to the B.C. Ministry of Health and B.C. Centre for Disease Control websites (linked below) for more on what you can do to level the curve and stop the spread of this virus.
Sincerely, Ali Cant and Matt Wiebe
How to Eat More Plants
November 9, 2019
By a ridiculously tall and hungry active dude.
At Coastie Craft Burgers, we’ve been digging through the garden trenches on how to eat more plants and make them taste incredible. We’ve also learned that eating plants is probably better for the environment, probably better for your health, and probably better for the animals! So far, we have had some pretty great success ramping up our personal plant consumption, so we wanted to share a few Coastie Craft Burgers pro tips.
Step 1 – FAT: Make your plant-based meals satisfying and satiating! My favourite way to do this is by adding a variety of fats in every meal with nuts and seeds. While I love treating myself to a heavenly treat of shelled pistachios or hazelnuts, I need to muck these magic morsels in large quantities – so my staples consist of affordable options. Nuts and seeds contain iron, omegas, fat and protein and from this list there should be something to add to nearly ANY meal.
Here’s my nut & seed quiver to ALWAYS KEEP RELOADED!
- Hemp Hearts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Chia Seeds (Never put these in your smoothie!)
- Sunflower Seeds
Step 2 – ACID: Make sure to have the right acidity in every meal to leave you stoked, satisfied and smiling. Getting the acid perfect can take a dish from limp noodle to ludicrous mode. Here’s a list of acidic things. JUST STOCK THEM ALL YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF!
- Apple Cider Vinegar (So many good ones out there – use this for deglazing while frying)
- Red Wine Vinegar (Most tomato-based things, soups, sauces, pastas, etc.)
- Premium Balsamic & all fancy interesting vinegars you want!
- Malt Vinegar (Mix with vegan mayo – useful in so many sauces)
- Rice Vinegar & Chinese Black Vinegar (BOOSTS up any Asian inspired meal)
- Lemon Juice (Also get fresh lemons & limes, but keep some juice on hand!)
- Lime Juice
Step 3 – MORE FAT: Find the right fat to boost up your meal! Mix up your oils when cooking, finish your Italian food with olive oil or mushroom infused oil, or chili oil! Here’s my oil stash:
- Coconut (Organic Virgin, because it’s delicious and I spread it on toast)
- Canola (Organic, probably? It’s just really good for deep frying things alright?)
- Grapeseed (Oil from seeds of grapes. Canola is originally “Bred” from the rapeseed plant, which over years has been perfected for deep frying. Both Canola and Grapeseed have a high smoke point & neutral flavour making them perfect for crispy frying anything!)
- Walnut or other nut oil.
YOU WILL ACCIDENTALLY MAKE SUCH DELICIOUS FOOD AND IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS IF YOU JUST BUY ALL OF THESE OILS!
You are far along your way to making some delicious foods from nothing but plants! Now any salad, rice bowl, breakfast bowl, avocado toast, cereal, stir fry, pizza, pasta, casserole, roasted veg, soup, or taco is going to come to LIFE!
STEP 4 – FRESHNESS: Just grow a herb garden already! Or just buy all these herbs below all the time like a chump. You can also chop herbs and place in oil in your freezer cubes for some zero-waste life hacks:
- Thyme (The best)
- Parsley (Literally a staple in smoothies and salads)
- Chives (Don’t be silly and accidentally eat potatoes without chives)
Why these particular herbs? I just harvested some of each from our garden in NOVEMBER. All grown with minimal effort. Basil is pretty good, but probably over-rated.
STEP 5 – STAPLES:
- Nutritional yeast (If you haven’t jumped on this yet then figure it out already)
- Coastie Craft Burgers fresh mix. Have you heard of these guys?
- Garlic and Ginger (infuse with oil as per the legendary Dumpling King. We secretly know that he knows how to make vegan dumplings and they are incredible) Garlic keeps well – and use leftover ginger in smoothies! For oil & good things: Dumpling King Highlights 🥬🥟 and 🍆
- Coconut Yogurt (All you need to know about is YOGGU)
- TOFU scrambles. Tofu won’t give you man boobs. Make egg scrambles with Shani Seasoning take them to the triple next level.
- Buy all the whole plants and try some new ones! Don’t use plastic produce bags, it’s 2019! Make sure to slap your friend or neighbour who uses plastic produce bags!
Try these things. If you want to… or don’t. Don’t let me tell you what to do. But let us know if it helps you eat more plants!